Rss Feed
  1. Monday, January 03, 2011

    Happy New Year!

    Our new year's eve was interesting in that we stayed home and made nachos and watched the original Tron (which neither of us had ever seen). The reason we stayed home was because the lovely house party we were to go to got cancelled because the hosts got THE call about adopting a baby!! They have only been waiting a few months but got a call on Dec 30th about a baby that had been born on Christmas day. They spent new years eve in the hospital with him and took him home on Jan 1st! Best reason to cancel a party ever! Also - can you imagine becoming parents with only 2 days notice?

    I'm super excited for them, and can't help but think that there are some interesting benefits to adopting that I hadn't thought of before - like the fact that both of the new parents are equal partners in this - compared to a birth situation where the mom goes through nine months and intense labour and the guy just supports/observes. In adoption, both of them are in the same situation, no one has any bonding advantage. And, since the mom isn't breastfeeding - they can equally split the burden of feeding through night/day. It just generally seems more balanced and fair.

    Here's a photo of me and the little guy - I think this is the newest person I've ever held, he was conveniently small and sleepy.

    Fingers crossed for them that the 30 day period the birth mom has to change her mind passes quickly and in 6 months their application to adopt is approved!

  2. 4 comments:

    1. Mom said...

      Nice Picture :) I won't say another thing, but will ask, did Peter take that pic?

    2. Lisa said...

      It is a nice photo, isn't it? The new mom took it with her iPhone.

    3. Amberism said...

      It is a super sweet photo, and a sweet looking little babe, too.

      Crazy! Definitely the best reason I've heard to cancel a party!

      Your comments made me wonder if the equality will continue to pan out, or if the societal roles will kick in? Interesting little social thought!

    4. Lisa said...

      I think the equality will end when someone goes back to work! Though they both have flexible schedules, one works from home, the other doesn't work standard 9-5, so it'll probably still be more balanced than standard couples, I suspect.

    Post a Comment

    What's on your mind?