Rss Feed
  1. Notes From Poland #5

    Tuesday, December 17, 2013

    We head out to London for Christmas soon! We've got a few days in London, then we head out to the English countryside (Devon, Cornwall), then back to London for a quiet NYE. This will be the first Christmas my sister and I have spent together in... over 10 years (longer even, I think)!!

    We've had a nice stretch of home-time in Wroclaw, enjoying the Christmas market and dance classes and lots of quiet time at home.  Here are a few random notes about life in Poland....

    Zle Mieso We went to this vegetarian place for lunch a few days ago - Zle  Mieso - and it was really really good. Really good. Funny things about it include: 1) its name means 'bad meat', 2) it's located on 'Victims of Auschwitz' Street :(  3)there was no sign outside the building but Peter remembered the address number so we went into the building, through to the courtyard and poked through 2 doors before we found it. This is not entirely unusual in Poland - signage is... just not as big a thing here. Makes you feel like you've found some secret restaurant that only people in the know go to.

    We met a nice couple from Wroclaw at the lindy hop event in Krakow and we've met up with them a few times. The woman's name is Jagoda which is a kind of berry in Poland - a cousin to the blueberry of some sort. I don't know why her name makes me so happy, but it does. I guess it's the equivalent of the English name Cherry.

    Polish people have adopted a few English words into their every day speak. The best is 'super', said with a Polish accent. It's wonderfully endearing to hear people talking in Polish and end with "Super!". I love it.



  2. 2 comments:

    1. Emil said...

      Lisa, your fondness for the Polish 'super' and its brilliant unexpectedness reminds me of when I heard someone in Canada talk about a writer called Jersey Kahsinsky. It took me a good while to figure out who that was(Jerzy Kosiński!) The Polish pronunciation is dramatically different and uttering it out loud around here would be a nice and easy way to earn a laugh from a Pole. By the way, some of the very few words in English that have supposedly Polish roots include: gherkin, yarmulke, the suffix 'nik' (as in 'beatnik') and... horde.

    2. Lisa said...

      Jersey Kahsinsky - that's funny. English people mangle Polish far more than the other way round, that's for sure! I feel like it's taken me 6 months of living in Poland just to say 'dzień dobry' even close to correctly.

      The other thing I love about Polish is the pan/pani - which has no equivalent in English (it seems less formal that sir/madam which are very formal and hardly used in English).

    Post a Comment

    What's on your mind?