Rss Feed
  1. Sanctuary

    Sunday, March 16, 2014

    Peter and I arrived on the small island of Ko Pha Ngan to a place called Sanctuary. Getting here involved a small ferry crossing from the bigger island of Ko Samui and then a small boat going over big waves that landed on the beach. Arriving at this peaceful place after the hectic chaos of every other place along the way is startling. Sanctuary is a collection of bungalows nestled into a hill in the forest with glimpses of the ocean down through the trees. There is yoga and meditation and spa treatments. A restaurant on the small beach. It is all very chill and friendly and artfully blended in with nature. We had dinner at a table by the beach bathed in light from the full moon reflecting off the ocean.  I have been grinning since we arrived. I may have spent a few hours yesterday in the hammock on our balcony, reading. I may do that again today.  We have a week here and it is exactly what we need.

    Thailand has been an interesting trip so far. It has been hot, which makes travel hard, and it has been a challenge for me as I love neat and orderly places and nothing here is neat or orderly! I desperately miss being able to walk down a sidewalk that is free of obstacles and free of the smells of cooking food (and garbage). But it has been good to see something different from what I know, get out of my western box.  Cambodia was hard - the level of poor that exists there is something I've never seen in person. It's complicated traveling there - being faced with how fortunate one is just to have had the luck of being born into good circumstances in Canada. My life has been so easy - it seems unfair, like I should be doing more to balance the world.... but how?

    These thoughts come up in Thailand too - although coming back to Thailand after Cambodia.... Thailand suddenly seems very advanced and organized (even at the border the difference is shocking - the shack you line up in for Cambodia immigration vs the air conditioned building for Thai immigration).  I can only imagine how shiny and clean (and uncrowded) Vancouver will seem when we get back!



  2. 0 comments:

    Post a Comment

    What's on your mind?