Rss Feed
  1. Check in

    Sunday, November 30, 2014


    Look, two posts in one month!  Amazing, isn't it?

    Needless to say, I'm still adapting to this full time work + trying to have a life thing. It's a struggle.

    But many good things are happening.

    Game nights with lovely friends are happening semi-regularly, which is awesome - part of my need-to-spend-more-time-with-friends plan that I concocted while in Poland.

    We went to our dance studio holiday dinner dance event at a country club and it was tons of fun. I am rocking the salsa lately (especially when led by a professional instructor).

    Friday was a costume party at our dance studio - Casino Royale was the theme so Peter put on his tux and I put on this floor length velvet dress with thigh-high slit that I found in a thrift store over a year ago (and had to buy because it fit so well and was so dramatic).  It was perfect for this James Bond theme party. Another very fun night. Hilariously the thigh-high split is a bit higher now due to some overly-large waltz steps.  Will have to repair that before the next fancy party.

    My Persuasion project is still playing out over on halfhope.blogspot.com.  Wentworth has arrived on the scene so things are tense.  I'm having some fun interactions on Twitter (as Anne with her readers).  Getting about 100 hits per day on the blog, which isn't bad. I hope people are enjoying it!

    My desire to weave has returned. I sold my small floor loom a while ago because I just didn't use it enough to warrant the amount of space it took up in our tiny apartment. (I fantasize about having an apartment big enough for all the indoor hobbies I want to dabble in.) I was idly looking on craigslist thinking I might find a small rigid heddle loom - something much more compact than a floor loom that would still let me do a project. Instead I accidentally found someone selling a table loom with stand for about 1/6 of retail price (for a pretty new loom). It's such a steal I'm struggling to resist buying it - I don't think it's the right loom for me right now, but it's such a bargain!  Instead I've asked to borrow a friend's table loom so I can do a project over the holidays and get this weaving itch
    out of my system for another year!

    It snowed in Vancouver Friday night and has been below zero ever since. Like -5C.  I'm dying every time I go outside, it's pathetic. I can't handle the cold. Not sure how I lived through Ottawa and Wisconsin winters for so many years, but this really shows that I can't ever move to any other part of Canada again. I wouldn't survive a full winter.  I'm pretty sure I don't have to leave the apartment today - fingers crossed.

  2. 4 comments:

    1. Well don't you guys look foxy! And I'm so sad to have missed the games night. I'll host the next one for sure!

      and buy the table loom. :)

    2. arianek said...

      I have been having this crazy urge to weave too, but I've never done it in the past! (I can't believe you had such a big loom before travelling!) I have all this yarn, and I can't knit or crochet anymore because of arthritic hands, so I keep thinking it would be a great yarny craft to do... I think I'm going to rent something from Baaad Anna's and see how I like it. ;)

      ps. I grew up in Saskatchewan and have become equally wimpy about the cold - I like doing out, but I just get SO COLD no matter what I wear!

    3. Lisa said...

      Ariane - when I wanted to learn I rented a loom from the weaving guild (super cheap): http://www.gvwsg.com/membership/rental-equipment I'm trying to think if it's easier on the hands, I think it must be although warping the loom (threading the heddles) might be trying. But I totally encourage you to try!

      we should form a union of the perpetually cold and advocate for our cause in some way. :)

    4. arianek said...

      Oh, awesome, I will bookmark that! I have a gift certificate for Baaad Anna's I want to use up, but if I like it, I could see renting periodically working well for me. I think warping should be ok, from the videos I've watched - my dexterity is quite good, it's more the constant prodding of my fingertips with knitting and crochet that bother things...

      Hah, indeed - maybe we could get discounts on all things sheepskin and insulated? I just bought sheepskin insoles for all my shoes and a new pair of winter boots... I might crack and buy a "real" winter jacket again next year if this keeps up - the goretex shell just isn't cutting it!

      ps. I just read this and thought you might get a kick out of the book. ;) https://www.facebook.com/GilbertLiz/photos/np.78081595.116206921/737181586363959/

    Post a Comment

    What's on your mind?