Rss Feed
  1. Friday, February 16, 2007

    Yesterday I measured the warp, slayed the reed, threaded the heddles, beamed the warp, and tied onto the apron rod and all of that means that today I was ready to weave! (Technically last night I was ready to weave but in an effort to ensure weaving doesn't consume my life, I met up with friends at the Atlantic Trap and Grill to celebrate a classmate's thesis defense - he's from Japan and we gave him a little taste of East Coast Canada complete with live music. I'm very proud that I tore myself from the loom, put on my Fluevogs(!) and went out.)

    Notes on weaving: 1. It's LOUD. 2. my "dining room table" is suddenly too small and too high. 3. the plumbing guys working in my apartment are fascinated and two of them have requested scarves. 4. weaving is by far the most jargony craft so far. 5. it's awesome. I think I love it.... even though I'm weaving with wool in awful colours that look like something beamed to my table directly from the 1970s, I can see the potential for not-ugly items. Setting the loom up requires skills I have in abundance, mainly the ability to be really, absurdly detail-oriented and get totally lost in some mind-numbingly repetative task.

    [pictures later]

    In other news, our new bathtub is now matched by new shower tiles and the dude is supposed to put up the shower curtain rod today so we can end the period of baths-only, which, while fun at first, quickly becomes inconvenient. It's quite funny in our bathroom because the tub and shower area is shiny and new and the rest of the bathroom is a disaster. Also - apparently they're setting up the apartments for in-suite washer and dryers and I was asking the dude where the dryer vent is going to go (they've run the water pipes into the closet) and he said they're using a new all in one washer/dryer unit that doesn't require a vent. That's crazy! I'm so behind on washer/dryer technology.

  2. 0 comments:

    Post a Comment

    What's on your mind?