So I was thinking about dancing the other day. I do that a lot, since we dance kind of a lot. (Apparently I also blog about dance a lot.)
I actually started by thinking about yoga, which I only do once a week but love. We have a great lunch time yoga program at work and the Monday instructor is fabulous. I struggle in yoga (like most people) to get my brain to shut up. This is also why I love yoga, because I am able (eventually) to quiet that constantly running inner monologue - the one they say is part and parcel of us being a sentient species but that can get annoying at times. It occurred to me that dancing is the other time I can quiet the hamster wheel in my brain. As a follower in dance, especially when dancing something you don't know or with someone way more advanced, to succeed, you must stop thinking about the dance and think about the moment - it's the ultimate way to practice 'being in the moment'. You have to constantly stand at the ready to receive signals on what will happen next. They are usually subtle signals and if your mind wanders, you may miss them.
I spend most of my time not in the moment. My job is usually about the exact opposite - planning for the future, spending a LOT of time thinking about the future and the impacts of our present decisions on the future. So I'm discovering that I really value activities that quiet my mind and let me just enjoy the NOW. Who knew that such a physical activity like dance could be so much like meditation? Quiet the mind and work the body, not a bad way to spend an evening.
-
Thursday, September 01, 2011
Posted by Lisa at 9:53 PM | Labels: dance | Email This BlogThis! Share to X Share to Facebook |
So true Lisa...my sport psych work is all about: 1) teaching people to get in the moment (zone) 2) teaching people to get back in the moment after losing their focus.
As for yoga, I have the same problem...although my bigger one is to let go of my ego. When Sarah started her yoga training she talked to me about what gets in the way...quickly I learned it is my ego.
As one teacher is fond of saying "there are no yoga competitions"...I have to stop myself from comparing my technique, strength etc. against my classmates and dismiss those thoughts.
Once I recognized that these ego thoughts were what was in the way, I was able to try and let go of them. Haven't been 100% successful, but I am working on it. Pretty tough stuff to get out of your head after decades of competitive sports!
Sean
It is really hard not to be competitive in yoga - even once you're able to ignore the other students, you still have to fight the urge to beat your performance from last time!