Rss Feed
  1. Books of 2015

    Tuesday, December 29, 2015

    There's a running list in the sidebar of this blog that tracks all the books I've read in a given year. (Also, I'm on goodreads - look me up if you're on there too.) Thought I'd try a year-end summary in case it helps others find books to read... so in chronological order of when I read them:

    1. Where'd You Go Bernadette by Maria Semple - heard a bit of hype about this one. It was okay - felt like it was trying too hard to be wacky.

    2. Burial Rites by Hannah Kent - lovely writing but not much in the way of plot or resolution; not my cup of tea.

    3. The Homesman by Glendon Swarthout - well written but a hard story to read.

    4. The Execution of Noa P. Singleton by Elizabeth L. Silver - listened to this as an audio book on a road trip. Meh.

    5. Ablutions by Patrick deWitt- saw this author speak at a festival and learned he actually spent a year working in a dive bar - found this book more interesting for knowing that. Loved the writing more than the characters or the story, but that was enough to get it a good review from me.

    6. The Peripheral by William Gibson - I always really enjoy William Gibson books and really struggle with them. I have to accept that I won't understand what is going on at least 20% of the time (probably more). Partly because he writes about future states that don't exist and the technology they use/cultural norms, partly because he's kind of vague in his writing. But I find his work so interesting, I am always drawn it. This was no exception.

    7. Ace, King, Knave by Maria McCann - enjoyed it.

    8. Embassytown by China Mieville - I read this fairly quickly, so it gets points for keeping me interested... but overall it was lacking for me. Another reviewer said it best, I think: "Avice was not, for the most part of the book, compelling as a protagonist. None of the minor characters held my attention. So I wandered, bereft of an anchor, through a sea of explanation and exposition about the Arieke and Language. It was like reading an interesting but fictional textbook on an alien culture.

    9. Bad Monkey by Carl Hiaasen - amusing.

    10. Glass Harmonica by Russell Wangersky - really enjoyed this - a refreshingly dark tale in contrast to the books that romanticize life in the maritimes. wonderful collection of characters.

    11. Halfhead by Staurt MacBride - no.

    12. Spin by Robert Charles Wilson

    13. The Little Stranger by Sara Waters

    14. Sand by Hugh Howey

    15. This Crazy Time (non-fiction) by Tzeporah Berman

    16. The Martian by Andy Weir - LOVED THIS. Totally my kind of nerdy story. Based on hard science and a smart-ass main character. Love love love. (Movie was okay, book is 100 times better.)

    17. Halfway Home by Hugh Howey - this is YA and it reads like it. Disappointing.

    18. Influx by Daniel Suarez

    19. Broken Promise by Linwood Barclay - won a free copy. It was okay.

    20. Ship of Fools by Richard Paul Russo

    21. Love Minus Eighty by Will McIntosh - loved this. Creative premise, well executed.

    22. Ready Player One - by Ernest Cline (audiobook version) - would have been better as a paper/e book so I could skim over the insanely detailed long descriptions of obscure video games I'm not interested in. Otherwise, fantastic!

    23. Wool by Hugh Howey - loved it.

    24. Arc by Stephen Baxter - read it because I read the first one and was curious about the sequel. You could give both a pass and not miss out.

    25. MaddAddam by Margaret Atwood

    26. Lock In by John Scalzi

    27. Sorry, Please, Thank You by Charles Yu

    28. As You Wish by Cary Elwes (non-fiction) - this is the behind the scenes story of The Princess Bride and if you love the movie you will adore this.

    29. Trust Me I'm Lying by Mary Elizabeth Summer

    30. The Observations by Jane Harris - a very odd period story. But I like weird.

    31. Safe Haven by Nicolas Sparks - such a big pile of meh. Don't get the fuss over this author.

    32. Zone One by Colson Whitehead - zombie apocalypse goodness.

    33. Hotel at the Corner of Bitter and Sweet by - Jamie Ford - a lovely telling of a sad story.

    34. The Good Thief's Guide to Amsterdam by - Chris Ewan

    35. The Cartographer of No Man's Land by P.S. Duffy - set in WWI, interesting to read the Canadian perspective.

    36. Goodbye For Now by Laurie Frankel

    37. Shift by Hugh Howey - loved this series. Marking Hugh Howey as a new favourite author.

    38. Warm Bodies by Isaac Marion (audiobook version)

    39. The Last Policeman by Ben H. Winters

    40. The Girl, The Gold Watch and Everything by John D. MacDonald - a fun romp.

    41. The Water Knife by Paolo Bacigalupi

  2. 2 comments:

    1. Mom said...

      Where do you find the time to read so much and do you know your reading rate?
      http://www.readingsoft.com/

    2. Lisa said...

      Super late reply... I actually do a lot of my reading during my 5 min train ride to/from work. I chip away at novels and then get in a a good reading session on weekends usually. 442 wpm based on that test, but novels are less technical so I probably read those faster.

    Post a Comment

    What's on your mind?